So, in this blog, I will not be discussing the technology I used to create my final project. I used Word, and I do not think that is cutting edge. It is a standard, but most are very used to it, and there is little to discuss. Instead, I will discuss how the project has gone. I had envisioned an almost prescriptive document that would be a series of lesson plans to facilitate digital citizenship and ethical and moral responsibility on the internet. It turned out to be much more of an outline to do so than I had intended.
This is because every time I envisioned incorporating an example for a specific class, I found that limited the document’s use. Great for an imaginary class; terrible for actual use. So, the good thing here is that I eventually dropped the idea of specificity (in the document). And that made the whole thing more useful in a broad sense.
Hence, the document does not help anyone just have a look and do a couple of lessons. Instead, a bunch of ground work still has to be done to cater the examples to a specific class (and time).
Sadly, this is also a mini-unit that caters to my teaching style: discussion centred. In other words, a lot of thinking before discussing. Then, a lot of discussing in small groups before we share as a large group. Finally, a lot of questions for the large group.
I also did not include work sheets or some solid item to be assessed by a teacher at the end. I know what I would do; we would culminate with a reflection. I also think we could ask students to consciously incorporate what they have learned into their internet habits, and do check-ins over a period following the lesson.
Where I succeeded the most is that I have a mini-unit that I can co-teach with any teachers in my school who would like to explore these ideas with their students. It is a flexible, living document that welcomes change, adjustments and updates.